The Crystal Analysis test is an assessment of synovial fluid using polarized light microscopy is performed for the presence of CPPD (calcium pyrophosphate dihydrate) and/or MSU (monosodium urate) crystals.
Panels Included In
Available in New York State?
Yes. This test is available for patients within New York state as an optional add-on to the Synovasure® Comprehensive PJI Panel. It is not available as a stand-alone test. In addition, the Synovasure® Comprehensive NSA Panel and Synovasure RISC® Panel are not available within the state.
Periprosthetic OR Native joint
Note: Performance on specimens from other anatomic locations is not defined. Non-intraarticular joint fluid will be tested if Zimmer Biomet is participating in a clinical study.
Volume by Tube Type*
No Additive Tube: 1.0mL
*Tubes are provided within specimen transportation kits
7 days post-aspiration
Ambient/Room Temperature prior to shipment. If being held overnight or over a weekend, store in refrigeration.
All materials needed to package and ship are included within transportation kit. Make sure to retain tracking number from provided FedEx label for tracking purposes
Monday to Friday
Ship specimen the same day as aspiration
Saturday to Sunday
Place in refrigeration and ship specimen on Monday
Reasons for Specimen Rejection
1. Specimen is outside stability range
2. Specimen is not representative of synovial fluid (i.e. blood, urine, etc.)
3. Specimen is aspirated from a location other than the intra-articular joint space
*Note: Non-synovial fluid or intra-articular joint specimens will be tested if associated with a Zimmer Biomet-approved clinical study.
When submitting a specimen to CD Laboratories for this panel:
- Do not use lavage, contrast or other foreign liquids to aspirate fluid
- Ensure specimen is not overly hemolyzed
- A completed requisition form is required with each specimen
- A barcode label from the specimen transportation kit is required on the top of completed requisition
- For Physician Accounts Only: Patient signature and insurance information are required
This test is not available as a stand-alone test option. For pricing for the test panels in which this test is included, please select from the below list:
This test is available utilizing either the Infection Specimen Transportation Kit (00-8888-130-01) or Arthritis Specimen Transportation Kit (00-8888-160-01). If a full Arthritis work-up is desired, utilize the Arthritis Specimen Transportation Kit. For infection only, utilize the Infection Specimen Transportation Kit.
How to Order Kit
Contact your local Zimmer Biomet sales representative
For result or test questions, contact CD Laboratories Customer Service at 888-981-8378 or [email protected].